8:39 pm
December 4, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

I notice that after a generous 3rd donation, we are now at $100.  If we include Rocket's pledged $20, that's $120.  I intend to make a donation afer I get paid on the 18th of December.  So in the next fortnight or so we are probably going to get to around the $150 mark.

This website sells a service whereby they do most of the work in setting up a non-profit in Delaware for you.  I'm not suggesting we actually use them, because frankly their site gives me a kind of seedy vibe (open question: can someone find a deal like this from a place that looks a bit more legit?), but my point is that their charge for this service is $118.  Assuming that they are making a profit, the actual cost of doing everything that is necessary to set up a on-profit must be less than this, which means we are now either at or extremely close to the point where we have enough money to buy a PO Box and incorporate with it, which would be a huge step.  We could then get a CSTART bank account and use a PayPal account linked to that to solicit donations for the extra money needed for 501(c)(3).

Since this is now within our grasp, I think we owe it to the people who are giving us money to forge ahead with this work, even if it isn't as fun or exciting as talking about hybrid rocket engines (not to say we should stop talking about those for now, but we shouldn't focus on them to the exclusion of the legal side of things).

I think the biggest things we should be focusing on are:

• By laws.
  • Deciding who is going to be on the board

because this effort is a non-starter without those sorted out.  The board thing is perhaps the trickiest.  For one thing we don't have many people, and some of the people we do have may not want to make the commitment of being on the board.

The By laws feel a bit easier and we should probably start discussing them more.  Note that there is already a thread for this, so take ideas or questions there rather than here.

Main workgroups: Mission Planning, Navigation and Guidance. I do maths, physics, C, Python and Java.

1:26 am
December 5, 2009

Rizwan

Admin

posts 138

link
print

That is lovely, I really didnt expect we will reach $100 so fast!

I dont have a problem per se being on the board. But I am not sure whether non-us citizens can be an officer on the board.

3:30 am
December 5, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

Main workgroups: Mission Planning, Navigation and Guidance. I do maths, physics, C, Python and Java.

10:00 pm
December 5, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

Someone has replied to my Reddit post linked to above and offered to give us some help.  I have asked a few specific questions there but if anybody has any others they would like to know answers to, you can either post them directly at Reddit if you have an account there or you can post them here and I will relay them through.

11:18 pm
December 5, 2009

Rocket-To-The-Moon

Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA

posts 527

link
print

Post edited 5:19 am – December 6, 2009 by Rocket-To-The-Moon

How difficult will it be to prepare the yearly taxes and other government forms? We will probably need a special officer position to handle this chore. Maybe it fits under the legal officer position.

Swamped with work & school at the moment. Main Workgroups: Propulsion & Spacecraft Engineering

11:41 pm
December 5, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

The person I mentioned has just now responded to some of my preliminary questions!

It looks like if we incorporate in Delaware, we are required to have 1 natural US person on the board, but beyond that the only restrictions are on who else can sit are those which we set by our own bylaws.  Obviously we will want a bylaw saying that anybody of any nationality, age, gender, whatever can become a member, so that should make it okay for non-Americans to sit on the board.

It looks like we can hold meetings online as long as we keep thorough records and take care of a few formalities (approving minutes of previous meetings, etc).

There is a link in the Reddit discussion to a IRS resource for the restrictions we need to meet to be eligible for 501(c)(3) status.

Looks like everything is coming together!

11:47 pm
December 5, 2009

brmj

Rochester, New York, United States

posts 321

link
print

What exactly does the "natural" in "natural US person" mean?

Main work groups: Propulsion (booster), Spacecraft Engineering, Computer Systems, Navigation and Guidance (software)

11:49 pm
December 5, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

To be honest I don't really know, in a detailed, formal sense.  I assume it means anyone who is a US citizen, either by birth or after being naturalised (which probably involves sitting a test, etc).

11:52 pm
December 5, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

To be clear, our advisor's precise words were merely "natural person".  Since I have heard the word "naturalisation" used to refer to the process of becoming a citizen of a country, I assumed this meant someone who was considered a citizen.  This may have been wrong.  Wikipedia would suggest that a "natural person" is "a human being, as opposed to an artificial, legal or juristic person, i.e., an organization that the law treats for some purposes as if it were a person distinct from its members or owner"/p>

This seems like an even weaker requirement, nationality is irrelevant, as long as someone isn't a cyborg they seem to meet the criteria.

12:33 pm
December 6, 2009

Rizwan

Admin

posts 138

link
print

It is really great to hear non-us members can be on the board of cstart. Is it time to do an official post on reddit? May be we could recruit new members that way. Just let me know before anybody does that as I will need to tweak the server.

12:06 am
December 7, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

A little more about doing this in Delaware.

The actual article of incorporation form to become an exempt corporation in Delaware is here.  It's extremely simple, as you can see.  The biggest complication is that you need to use just the right language when filling in the very few blanks that the IRS wants in order to certify you as 501(c)(3) exempt.  I haven't researched this language yet.  Filing the Delaware form costs $89 if we can fit it on one page plus $9 per extra page if we go over that.  If we could fit our form on 2 pages, which seems likely, we could afford to do this today.

Contrary to our earlier understanding, we will need to provide a physical street address and name of someone in Delaware for this form (part 2).  This can be any old person, or you can use a "Registered Agent", which is a company located in Delaware which takes care of this for you (and I suppose acts as a mediator between the incorporator and the state).  The Delaware state website has a list  of registered agents.  The first one I found who had a website was Corporations USA, who charge $49 per year for this service.  If we went down this route we would need to raise an extra $30 (including the $20 Rocket has pledged which is not showing up on ChipIn).  The only alternatives are to (i) find somebody we trust in Delaware or (ii) incorporate in another state.

As for what comes next, here is the advice I have received from a very helpful lawyer on Reddit:

The process is as follows:

1. The incorporator files the certificate of incorporation with the secretary of state. Once this is marked as "Filed" by the secretary of state, the company exists.
  2. The incorporator passes an "Action of Incorporator", which does two things: (a) formally adopts the bylaws, and (b) appoints the initial board members.
  3. The board of directors passes an "Action by unanimous consent" whereby you take care of the initial formalities. This includes discharging the incorporator of any further responsibility, filing your certificate of incorporation in the minute book, writing what will be contained in your minute book, appointing officers (president, vice president, et al).

Everything I have mentioned above pertains only to part 1.  I am intrigued that the company actually exists after this early stage, even before the bylaws or board are formally established.  I have asked whether or not we could operate a bank account at this early stage.  My intuition is that perhaps we would but there would be very little control over what the incorporator could do with money in it, so it wouldn't necessarily appear as a "safe" donation account to the masses.

Since the incorporation stage (part 1) is so easy and cheap I feel like we should try to do it ASAP.  This means finding out exactly what words to use in our incorporation document so that the IRS will play ball with us.

12:26 am
December 7, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

1:18 am
December 7, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

Here is the certificate of incorporation of the Open Web Foundation, a "an independent non-profit dedicated to the development and protection of open, non-proprietary specifications for web technologies", who are a 501(c)(3) organisation incorporated in Delaware.  You can see that it includes a lot of stuff beyond the simple 4 part version posted earlier.

The more I think about it, the more I think it may be worth while doing this through a registered agent.  This may raise the cost of incorporation about $50-$100 above the cost of doing it ourselves, but it would mean we could incorporate in Delaware (which apparently still has benefits even if you are tax exempt) without having to find someone who lives there and there would be an extra feeling of security that things were being done properly.

2:02 am
December 7, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

5:16 am
December 7, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

An interesting twist: this is the actual form you have to submit to achieve 501(c)(3) status.  On page 2 of the pdf is this text:

Part XI. Increase in User Fees.
User fee increases are effective for all applications
postmarked after January 3, 2010.
   1. $400 for organizations whose gross receipts do not
exceed $10,000 or less annually over a 4-year period.
   2. $850 for organizations whose gross receipts exceed
$10,000 annually over a 4-year period.
   See http://www.irs.gov web page link on Form 1023, page 12,
Part XI, User Fee Information, for the current user fees.
   Cyber Assistant, a web-based software program
designed to help organizations prepare a complete and
accurate Form 1023 application, will become available
during 2010. Once the IRS announces the availability of
Cyber Assistant, the user fees will change again.
   1. $200 for organizations using Cyber Assistant
(regardless of size) to prepare their Form 1023, or
   2. $850 for all other organizations not using Cyber
Assistant (regardless of size) to prepare their Form 1023.
   IRS will announce when Cyber Assistant is available and
the effective date of the user fee change. Sign up for the
Exempt Organization (EO) Update, EO’s subscription
newsletter, at http://www.irs.gov/charities, to automatically
receive an alert that Cyber Assistant is available.

If we are willing to wait a little bit, we will be able to file for 501(c)(3) online, presumably with a lot of hand holding from the web app to make sure everything is fine, and the cost will drop to $200, which is even cheaper than the current $300 price we were hoping to get.

I guess the only problem is that it doesn't say when in 2010 the Cyber Assistant will become available – it may not be until the final quarter of the year, in which case we would lose a lot of time waiting.

5:32 am
December 7, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

9:35 am
December 7, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

A possible minor advantage to incororating in NY as opposed to Delaware: there is a requirement to put at least 3 "initial directors", which means that all the authority over the organisation is distributed from the start.  In Delaware I think it is possible, and perhaps only possible, to just file with the incorporator, who maintains sole authority until appointing a board later.  It seems to be easier to find clear and simple information about the situation in NY, too.

9:51 am
December 7, 2009

brmj

Rochester, New York, United States

posts 321

link
print

I'd be willing to be the incorperator if we incorperate in New York, but I want it to be understood that I am a college student who is only here part of the year. My home town is in Ohio, and I tend to go back there for breaks. Will this be a problem? I don't know exactly how all of this works.

Main work groups: Propulsion (booster), Spacecraft Engineering, Computer Systems, Navigation and Guidance (software)

1:16 pm
December 7, 2009

noumena

posts 36

link
print

I live in New York year round if part of the year isn't good enough. However, I may leave in a year or so.

5:00 pm
December 7, 2009

Rocket-To-The-Moon

Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA

posts 527

link
print

Post edited 11:00 pm – December 7, 2009 by Rocket-To-The-Moon

So it costs $75 to incorporate in NY and then $200 to file with the IRS.

What are the recurring costs? Just the $200/year for the IRS.

Swamped with work & school at the moment. Main Workgroups: Propulsion & Spacecraft Engineering

small tagNo Tags
next

About the CSTART – Collaborative Space Travel and Research Team forum

Most Users Ever Online:

Currently Online:

4 Guests

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 32

Topics: 341

Membership:

There are 85 Members

There has been 1 Guest

There are 2 Admins

There are 0 Moderators

Top Posters:

Rocket-To-The-Moon – 527

brmj – 321

rpulkrabek – 141

noumena – 36

DenisG – 31

maciejm – 17

Administrators: Luke Maurits (979 Posts), Rizwan (138 Posts)

• Share/Bookmark