December 2, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

Post edited 2:11 am – December 3, 2009 by Luke Maurits

Actually, to stay on topic, we should probably make another thread where we can hammer out details of our standard contractor's…contract.  This thread is supposed to be about getting 501 status, so let's focus on issues related to that. (EDIT: Oops, apparently we weren't going that far off topic anyway according to Johnnyping's latest post).

Am I correct in assuming there will need to be a Bylaw or something to the effect of:

"The Treasurer is authorised to release CSTART funds to external persons or organisations upon award of a manufacturing contract if that award was properly given after a [meeting of some kind] with the authorisation of [various officers]"/p>

It may not actually look much like that, but there needs to be something along these lines, right?

Main workgroups: Mission Planning, Navigation and Guidance. I do maths, physics, C, Python and Java.

8:13 pm
December 2, 2009

johnnyping

posts 15

link
print

Exactly right.

As an aside, to help visualize the corporate scheme, think of the officers as sort of the executive branch and the board as a legislative branch. For changes in the laws or for policy initiatives you have the board meet, vote and discuss. For implementing those changes and decision making, you have the officers, including the treasurer.

8:14 pm
December 2, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

Good to see you again, Johnnyping.  No worries about being swamped by exams, I'm sure everybody understands.  Good luck to you!

While we have you around for now, though, can you clarify Zwan's earlier question about the ability to accept donations from states other than that which we are incorporated in?  My gut tells me that surely we would be able to do this, but someone (perhaps you) mentioned earlier that we would have to incorporate in every state we want to fundraise in.  It's not clear if that applies to taking donations or only to situations where we are physically doing something in that state, like having a bake sale or whatever?  Obviously we're not going to get to the moon on bake sales, but I mean physical fund raising events that I assume fall into the same legal basket as a bake sale.

Main workgroups: Mission Planning, Navigation and Guidance. I do maths, physics, C, Python and Java.

8:19 pm
December 2, 2009

johnnyping

posts 15

link
print

Post edited 2:20 am – December 3, 2009 by johnnyping

Luke Maurits said:

Good to see you again, Johnnyping.  No worries about being swamped by exams, I'm sure everybody understands.  Good luck to you!

While we have you around for now, though, can you clarify Zwan's earlier question about the ability to accept donations from states other than that which we are incorporated in?  My gut tells me that surely we would be able to do this, but someone (perhaps you) mentioned earlier that we would have to incorporate in every state we want to fundraise in.  It's not clear if that applies to taking donations or only to situations where we are physically doing something in that state, like having a bake sale or whatever?  Obviously we're not going to get to the moon on bake sales, but I mean physical fund raising events that I assume fall into the same legal basket as a bake sale.

Thanks, I'm glad to be back. I wish I could do more right now, but it's that crazy time of semester.

And the answer isn't that you have to incorporate in every state, but I think for 501(c)(3) tax purposes you have to register to do (major) fundraising in that state – if we're serious about a bake sale, no one is really going to care :). But down the road, if we want to raise serious capital, we'll have to register.

Registering is an easier and much less time consuming (and less costly) process than incorporating

8:25 pm
December 2, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

johnnyping said:

Thanks, I'm glad to be back. I wish I could do more right now, but it's that crazy time of semester.

And the answer isn't that you have to incorporate in every state, but I think for 501(c)(3) tax purposes you have to register to do (major) fundraising in that state – if we're serious about a bake sale, no one is really going to care :). But down the road, if we want to raise serious capital, we'll have to register.

Registering is an easier and much less time consuming (and less costly) process than incorporating

Thanks for clearing this up.  So we incorporate (big and expensive) in one state, and we register (small and cheap) in others.  Do we need to register just to accept online donations or is it only for major fundraising activities?

Given that so far we don't have more than one member in any US state, is the conventional wisdom just that we incorporate in whichever state has the nicest laws?  That's usually considered to be Delaware, is that right?  Or would the need for a physical address suggest that instead of that we incorporate in the state with the nicest laws out of those states in which we have members living so that they can provide a physical address?  Does anything need to be at the address or is it just so they have some sort of point of contact?  Are any of our US members happy to be that point of contact?

8:31 pm
December 2, 2009

johnnyping

posts 15

link
print

I think technically you are supposed to register to accept any donations, but I will confess I don't know. Some states may have minimum dollar amounts to register; I need to look into it.

And yes, conventional wisdom is incorporate in the nicest state – generally delaware. We need a physical address irrespective of where we incorporate but a PO Box would suffice provided someone had access to it. A PO Box is probably preferable as one of the things corporations must do is keep themselves completely distinct from there members. We wouldn't want official CSTART communications going to one person's residence. The PO Box does not even have to be in Delaware or the state in which we incorporate. It would, however, start as our principle place of business (a seperate location from where we incorporate).

I should also make note that to incorporate, people have to be willing to provide addresses and be signatories on the charter documents.

8:37 pm
December 2, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

Okay, so we can incorporate in Delaware but list our address as a PO Box in any other state, like one where say brmj or Rocket could physically collect the mail?  Cool stuff.  How much does a basic PO Box cost in the US?  We will need to add that cost to the cost of incorporation to see how much we will need to raise.

I guess a good next step would be for someone to find the incorporation forms for Delaware so we can get a better idea of what we need.  This should be pretty easy, right, they'll be up as .pdf's on a .gov site somewhere?

8:44 pm
December 2, 2009

johnnyping

posts 15

link
print

I'm sure they are all over the place as well. And I can't imagine a PO Box costing any more than 20 bucks a month.

8:52 pm
December 2, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

I have to head out in 15 minutes so this is all I'll be able to contribute for now (I will be back later today, though, if anybody is still around).

Good work today, everybody, I feel like we've picked up some serious momentum in this direction again!  Hopefully we can beat the 501 price hike that is coming early next year.

9:03 pm
December 2, 2009

Rocket-To-The-Moon

Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA

posts 535

link
print

Post edited 3:07 am – December 3, 2009 by Rocket-To-The-Moon

johnnyping said:And I can't imagine a PO Box costing any more than 20 bucks a month.

According to the post office website it is as low as $10 for 6 months.

In my area it is $22 for 6 months. That will get you a 3×5.5 inch box which should be large enough for most letters.

I'm probably not the best person for this because I live 40 miles away from the nearest location.

Swamped with work & school at the moment. Main Workgroups: Propulsion & Spacecraft Engineering

9:24 pm
December 2, 2009

brmj

Rochester, New York, United States

posts 321

link
print

Post edited 3:34 am – December 3, 2009 by brmj

I, too, am probably not a good choice. I'm a college student who's only means of transportation is a bicycle. I can check if the on-campus post office has PO boxen, but I doubt it.

Main work groups: Propulsion (booster), Spacecraft Engineering, Computer Systems, Navigation and Guidance (software)

9:36 pm
December 2, 2009

brmj

posts 321

link
print

Here's a question: If we're going for tax exempt status anyway, what is the advantage of incorperating in Delaware?

Main work groups: Propulsion (booster), Spacecraft Engineering, Computer Systems, Navigation and Guidance (software)

10:44 pm
December 2, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

Perhaps quailman would be able to act as our PO Box checker.  He started this whole crazy endeavour, afterall!

Brmj's question about Delaware is a good one – is Delaware considered friendly purely for tax related reasons, in which case doesn't the advantage disappear one we get 501 status?  Or are their laws friendly in other ways too?

12:08 am
December 3, 2009

Rizwan

Admin

posts 138

link
print

Sorry for the delay in not checking in, been quite busy.

While we are discussing the PO Box issue, I remember seeing some web companies, that give you a PO Box at their address. And all the letters received are uploaded as scanned documents. So may be we could look into that. I will try googling it again.

6:23 pm
December 3, 2009

noumena

posts 36

link
print

6:50 pm
December 3, 2009

brmj

posts 321

link
print

Good find. This looks like something we could use. Unfortunately, the prices look kind of high. Maybe if the have a cheaper competitor…

7:02 pm
December 3, 2009

noumena

posts 36

link
print

8:06 pm
December 3, 2009

brmj

posts 321

link
print

12:12 am
December 4, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 979

link
print

I have a fairly weak preference for a regular PO Box too, simply beause (i) it is cheaper and (ii) it feels like there is something of a trust issue going through a third-party scanning service.  Not that I expect us to be receiving much super confidential mail because we will be such an open and transparent organisation, it just feels kind of weird to me to think of someone else opening our mail.  I am a bit of a privacy nut, though, if nobody else has any kind of problem with it, don't let me hold you back.

4:48 am
December 4, 2009

noumena

posts 36

link
print

Another concern I have is how reliable a service like that is. If they miss something or scan something too late such as a bill, that could be detrimental. Perhaps mail should go to one of several normal PO boxes that way no one has to sort through all of it. For instance the Treasurer wouldreceive any non-electronic donations and any bills or bank statements. We'd have a different PO box for things such as correspondence with other organizations and contractors and maybe a general PO box that would be used for most purposes such as filing for official nonprofit status.

small tagNo Tags
next

About the CSTART – Collaborative Space Travel and Research Team forum

Most Users Ever Online:

Currently Online:

1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 32

Topics: 343

Membership:

There are 85 Members

There has been 1 Guest

There are 2 Admins

There are 0 Moderators

Top Posters:

Rocket-To-The-Moon – 535

brmj – 321

rpulkrabek – 141

noumena – 36

DenisG – 32

maciejm – 17

Administrators: Luke Maurits (979 Posts), Rizwan (138 Posts)

• Share/Bookmark