Subscribe to rss feed

Donate Here! - Help us gain 501(c)(3) status | Fundraising and sponsorship issues | Forum

You must be logged in to post user permissions login Login register Register

Register? | Lost Your Password?

searchicon 

Minimum search word length is 3 characters – Maximum search word length is 84 characters
Wildcard Usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

topic

Donate Here! – Help us gain 501(c)(3) status

print
small tagNo Tags
UserPost

8:12 pm
December 2, 2009

Rocket-To-The-Moon

Altus, Oklahoma, USA

posts 685

link
print
+3
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

Post edited 7:26 pm – January 8, 2010 by Rocket-To-The-Moon

Click here to donate if you are unable to see the ChipIn widget above.

This money will cover filing fees associated with CSTART gaining 501(c)(3) non-profit status.

Donated amount is non refundable. If CSTART dissolves the entirety of the donated money will be given to a science/spaceflight related organization.

NOTE: The original ChipIn expired; there was a total of $185 donated. Add 185 to the amount displayed in the above widget.

Main Workgroups: Propulsion & Spacecraft Engineering

8:16 pm
December 2, 2009

Rocket-To-The-Moon

Altus, Oklahoma, USA

posts 685

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

I tried putting in some money but it won't let me add to my own fund.

8:21 pm
December 2, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 1483

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

Good on you for taking the initiative to do this!

Post a link on /r/tothemoon too and hopefully we'll see results before too long.

I'll post something to our FB fan page later today.

If anybody has access to our Twitter account, this would be a great tweet, too.

Main CLLARE workgroups: Mission Planning, Navigation and Guidance. I do maths, physics, C, Python and Java.

11:47 pm
December 2, 2009

Rizwan

Admin

posts 170

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

I am confused, I dont see any link to a donate page.

If I no one has set this up yet, I can volunteer to set it up on my paypal account.

11:54 pm
December 2, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 1483

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

If you click on the orange "ChipIn!" button that is centred at the bottom of the badge, it should take you to a PayPal donation page, this works for me.

Main CLLARE workgroups: Mission Planning, Navigation and Guidance. I do maths, physics, C, Python and Java.

12:18 am
December 3, 2009

Rizwan

Admin

posts 170

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

hmm…weird i dont see it. Can you do a hard refresh and check if it is still there?

12:22 am
December 3, 2009

brmj

Rochester, New York, United States

posts 402

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

This is really strange. It was working for me earlier, but now I can't see it either.

Main work groups: Propulsion (booster), Spacecraft Engineering, Computer Systems, Navigation and Guidance (software)

12:50 am
December 3, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 1483

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

It is definitely still working for me, I've just loaded this thread on a different computer to one I'd been using until now (so there was nothing relevant in the cache) and it works just fine.  I can see that someone has donated $5!  One small donation for man, one giant leap for CSTART.

12:31 pm
December 3, 2009

Rocket-To-The-Moon

Altus, Oklahoma, USA

posts 685

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

You can count me in for at least $20 but I can't contribute to myself so the real value is 20 higher than what it says.

1:10 pm
December 3, 2009

brmj

posts 402

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

It continues to not work for me. Would someone care to post a direct link to the page on chipin.com, istead of just the widget?

Main work groups: Propulsion (booster), Spacecraft Engineering, Computer Systems, Navigation and Guidance (software)

3:34 pm
December 3, 2009

brmj

posts 402

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

I'm now in the process of isolating the problem. The widget is flash based, is  very flakey when used with GNU's free flash plugin and isn't smart enough to do anything to tell you something ought to be on the screen if it fails.

5:50 pm
December 3, 2009

Rocket-To-The-Moon

Altus, Oklahoma, USA

posts 685

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

Try the link below. If it works let me know and I'll provide it as an alternate in the main post.

http://www.chipin.com/contribu…..1aea909d13

6:01 pm
December 3, 2009

brmj

posts 402

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

The link works. Thanks. I'm also sometimes able to get the wifget working if I restart firefox, but it's very bugy and eventually stops working.

12:13 am
December 4, 2009

Rizwan

Admin

posts 170

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

I still cant get it to work. Firefox says server timed out

12:19 am
December 4, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 1483

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

This is a little bit of a worry.  ChipIn is starting to feel kind of unreliable, which isn't the kind of thing we want from a service we are using to raise important money.

3:39 pm
December 4, 2009

brmj

posts 402

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

I'm not sure about Rizwan's issue, but in my case the problem is fundimentally the fact that GNU's flash plugin isn't fully implemented yet and I am too much of a zealot to use Adobe's proprietary one. As much as I dislike Chipin's choice of flash for there widgit, you can hardly blaim them for this particular consequance of this decision. As long as you supply the alternate link, it ought to work just fine. I was able to use it successfully.

9:23 am
December 29, 2009

Rocket-To-The-Moon

Altus, Oklahoma, USA

posts 685

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

We just received another $50 donation last night. We are to the point when we probably have almost enough to file.

9:26 am
December 29, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 1483

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

Post edited 3:27 pm – December 29, 2009 by Luke Maurits

We are already at that point!  Filing costs only $75 in NY, we could easily afford to reserve the name, then file, then pay for a certified copy of the documents to give to the IRS.  Money is no longer an obstacle in incorporation, due to our generous supporters – it is now just about somebody actually doing the leg work.  We have really lost momentum on this and it's a little sad – I think we're unlikely to beat the 501(c)(3) certification price hike in Jan 2010.

The current state of affairs on this front is quite well documented in the 501(c)(3) thread.

EDIT: I just realised you meant enough money to actually file for 501(c)(3), not just to incorporate.  My bad.

4:38 am
December 30, 2009

rpulkrabek

posts 349

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

I wasn't quite aware of the status. For some reason I thought the filling fees were put on hold or were accomplished. I am now planning on donating $50. I had to jump through some holes to try and create a paypall account, which was difficult for a non US account, at least for me. I have now put money into the account, but it won't be confirmed until January 5th. I can donate then. How much is needed to get the 501(c)(3)? $500?

4:58 am
December 30, 2009

Luke Maurits

Adelaide, Australia

Admin

posts 1483

link
print
ratedowngrey
rateupgrey

rpulkrabek said:

How much is needed to get the 501(c)(3)? $500?

Right now it costs $300 to file for 501(c)(3) status.

After Jan 3 2010, this will go up to $400.

Some time later in 2010 the IRS is going to introduce a "CyberAssistant" feature where you can file online.  Once this happens, it will cost $200.  We have no idea when this might happen – it could be early 2010, or it could be December.

We have practically no hope of making the 3 Jan 2010 deadline, so we will be paying either $400 or $200 depending on how long we wait and how long CyberAssistant takes.

On top of this cost we need to actually incorporate and, if we do so in NY, pay for an official certificate of incoroporation to show the IRS.  Incorporation in NY costs $75 and the certificate is, I think, $10 (or thereabouts).  In Delaware incorporation is $100 but you get the certificate free.  So regardless of where we incorporate the total cost for it is going to be around $100ish.

This means the absolute total cost of becoming a 501(c)(3) will be either around $500 or around $300.

small tagNo Tags

About the CSTART – Collaborative Space Travel and Research Team Forum

Forum Timezone: UTC -6

Most Users Ever Online: 59

Currently Online:
9 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4
Forums: 36
Topics: 515

Membership:

There are 1140 Members

There are 2 Admins

Top Posters:

Rocket-To-The-Moon – 685
brmj – 402
rpulkrabek – 349
DenisG – 69
antinode – 64
J. Simmons – 46

Recent New Members: megasplosion, peterpaul008, Sandra, melody, devinbutler30, Manoj Kumar

Administrators: Luke Maurits (1483 Posts), Rizwan (170 Posts)

share save 120 16